AJ4TW Live Logbook

Friday, October 18, 2013

Raspberry Pi Dvap Hot spot Controller

So, as promised, here are the details on my PidVap.  Thanks to John, N3SBP, for turning me onto this information.

What you need is a Raspberry Pi Model B, a 16GB SD card, and a DVAP, either VHF or UHF, whichever you prefer.  Then I just simply followed the instructions found here:
http://ncmd-dstar.org/downloads/raspi/NCMD_RaspiberryPi.pdf  



Which is an image file for your OS that lives on the SD card of your Raspberry Pi, this image includes already the software for ircDDB and another piece of software called DVAP Node.  After that all you have to do is follow the instructions to set up the controller with your callsign, etc.

One thing that was a gotcha for me was that I did not realize that I needed to put my radio into Duplex mode.  For whatever reason, I think the radio doesn't send out the proper commands for a repeater operation if it isn't in DUP. So you set the offset to 0.00Mhz + or - and it sends out repeater commands when you key up.  Without doing that you can not link to any reflectors or repeaters.

If you can not get into the router that you are connected to in order to get your IP address that allows you to connect to the Pi remotely, so that you do not need a monitor and keyboard, etc. connected to it, there are these two options as well.  I haven't yet tried either option, so if you do let me know how they work, and if there are any hang-ups, etc.

·       Send IP Address from DVAP/Pi via Text Message to cell phone - installation and configuration guide:
http://ncmd-dstar.org/downloads/raspi/Send_IP_Instructions.pdf

·       Speak IP Address from DVAP/Pi via 3.5mm Audio Port – installation and configuration guide:
http://ncmd-dstar.org/downloads/raspi/Speak_IP_Instructions.pdf


There you go, I hope you enjoy that.  It was super easy for me, and I find the tool very useful, now I can just leave my Dvap constantly running, no need for a PC running an application all of the time, just a little Pi hiding somewhere behind your router controlling the whole thing.  So far it has performed flawlessly for me.

Cheers!
73
AJ4TW

No comments:

Post a Comment